Make reading a destination in your home by creating a space designed just for enjoying books. Make it warm, creative, and screen-free.
Here’s a list of things to consider when creating your reading nook:
- Location. Your reading nook doesn’t have to be large. It can be a corner, some unused space under a stairway, a window seat, or even a closet. It should feel quiet and cozy. Define the space with paint, wall decals, a rug, or even a canopy or curtains.
- Lighting. Natural light is excellent for reading, which makes a window seat an ideal nook. If natural light isn’t available, choose a lamp and use a bulb with a yellow hue. Learn more lighting tips for reading here.
- Book Storage. You’ll need shelves, baskets, or other storage for books. Don’t clutter the space with too many books. Instead, change the selection periodically and, if possible, display the books with the front covers showing.
- Comfy Chairs or Pillows. Select seating that encourages readers to stay for a while. Beanbag chairs or a variety of large pillows work well for kids. Adults may want a chair with more support. Keep a basket of blankets in the space.
- Add some Magic. String fairy lights, hang pictures of favorite book characters, use a letter board to share famous quotes from books, use a hanging chair or swing… in other words, let your imagination run wild.
- Keep it Fresh. Every once in a while, change up the decore with new pictures or pillows. You might even decorate the nook around a theme from a favorite book
If you don’t know where to start, let this video from HGTV inspire you: